Many families feel their child should be able to get out of school and jump right into a paid job. This is often unrealistic. You may ask, “Why is this unrealistic?”
1) For the most part, youths are not ready to deal with blending into the real world of work no matter how hard their teachers and families have tried to prepare them. They usually just don’t have the experience. Of course this depends on the individual’s level of maturity and cognitive ability.
2) Youths and adults do not want a resume showing lost jobs and many jobs spanning a short period of time. This is called job hopping. I write resumes daily and I can’t tell you enough how bad it looks on paper to the employer if the individual cannot hold a job.
3) The new philosophy now is find the person a job that is mentioned in their last IEP. More times then not a student does not really know what they want to do. They are just trying to get through school and make good grades. I often see the title “Stocker”. These students are not being exposed to all of the opportunities that are offered out in this big world.
4) I am a firm believer in ” Show me” do not tell me. This means I do not like to market an individual without seeing what their skill level is first. We often utilize a service called Environmental Work Assessment or EWA for short. What is an EWA? This is a diagnostic tool like no other. We take the student out for three days, to three different work sites in 4 hour increments. The student is able to try out different types of work in different environments and the placement specialist is able to see the student in action and help determine where their strengths and interests may lie.
This summer lets be proactive and get our kids prepared to the best of their ability.
By: Raeme Bosquez-Greer
Program Coordinator/Job Adventures
Latest posts by Raaeme Bosquez-Greer (see all)
- Minds are Opening and the Sun Shines Brighter in 2018 - May 17, 2018
- Volunteering during the Summer – Why this is important! - May 1, 2018
- What is the difference between Job Placement and Job Carving? - March 16, 2018
- A True Meaning of Inclusion at What Cost - February 5, 2018
- Watch Us GLOW - January 4, 2018