How can we tell when someone is thinking hard about a question?
There are some simple signs when a person’s mind is really working – when a problem holds their attention completely. It takes effort, and we often see this in movement in the mouth and the brow.
Amanda is looking directly at John, but we can see by her gaze that her brain is fully engaged. As she reflects on the question, she glances away and then back. The combination of working her mouth, and her steady gaze shows she is completely absorbed in thinking about the issue.
She also nods to indicate that she is considering the question carefully.
Signs to note
- a steady gaze
- compresses her lips and pulls mouth to the side
- shifts gaze briefly to the side
- chews her lip
By John Habershon
Latest posts by John Habershon (see all)
- Learning How to Read Emotions for People with ASD: The Emotion of Displeasure - March 2, 2017
- How to Recognize Emotions Through Body Language: Fascination - September 29, 2016
- Reading Emotions: Discomfort - August 12, 2016
- How to Recognize Disbelief or Irritation Through Facial Expressions - July 6, 2016
- An instructional video on how to recognize the emotion, contempt - March 29, 2016